Blogger is one of the popular platforms for building a free website, but by default the URL of the website or blog you created belongs to Blogspot’s domain. or should I say it’s a subdomain whose primary domain is Blogspot.com. But you can use the custom domain or the third-party URL with a website or blog on Blogspot. This means that you can redirect the blogger to a custom domain without notifying users.
The biggest benefit of starting a blog or website on Blogspot is that you don’t have to pay for hosting, maintenance, and security. All this managed by Google. The only thing you need to make your website look professional is the right theme and custom domain name.
By default, the URL used for the Google Blogspot blog is yourblogname.blogspot.com. Now what you want is only yournameblog.com.
You can use any domain name from any registrar, be it Godaddy, BigRock, NameCheap, web host, Bluehost, etc. The method of setting up the custom or top-level domain is almost the same.
Add custom domain to blogger with Godaddy
Here for tutorial purposes we are using the Come on daddy as registrar to add the custom domain to the blogger.
- First of all, you need to buy a domain. For example, we bought the domain from Come on daddy. So, I’m assuming you’ve already purchased a domain from a registrar. Buy only the domain that initially cost you $ 5-10.
- Log into your blogger account now and click on the Settings->Basic option given in the left menu. Under Post you will find a Blog Address section, click the button + Configure a third-party URL for your blog connect.
- Third-party domain settings: Enter your purchased custom domain name. For example www.example.com. After that, click on the SAVE button.
- When you click on the save button it will display an error which “We have not been able to verify your authority on this area ” it’s because we haven’t updated the Godaddy DNS registration of our Customs domain with those provided by Google Blogger.com. Leave it as is and proceed to the next steps.
- Log in to the account (domain registrar): Once you have purchased the domain; log into your account registered with a domain registrar in our case, it is GoDaddy.
- When you sign in to your domain registrar account find out the domain you purchased. For Godaddy users, you need to login and click on the My products option given on the left in the menu.
- Select the domain: In front of the domain you want to use with the blogger you will find the DNS option, click on it.
- Add Blogger DNS records: Now go back to the backend of your Blogger blog (refer to step 4 of this tutorial) and add these CNAME records to your Godaddy domain DNS file as shown below.
- After updating the DNS record for your domain, wait a while as it may take up to 24 hours for propagation. Then you just have to go back to the Blogger Settings then Basic. Where else to repeat steps 2, 3 & 4 of this tutorial.
- Once the DNS records propagation is complete and you also register it in your Blogger’s account, it will look something like shown in the image below. Now click on the Edit option indicated in front of your custom domain.
- Now click on the box just below your custom domain to verify it. We do this because by default your bare domain (example.com) will redirect to your blogger url and us, if someone tries to access your website with www prefix then it will get an error. So we need to redirect it to make sure that example.com or www.example.com the custom domain URL should redirect to your Blogger URL.
This way you can add and redirect the blogger to the custom domain. If you have any difficulties let us know, the comments section is yours, we will be happy to help.
You might like to know: