This tutorial is about how to block a website on PC. We will do our best for you to understand this guide. I hope you will like this blog How to Block a Website on PC. If your answer is yes, please share after reading this.
Check How to Block Website on PC
Windows 10 has built-in parental controls that allow you to block unwanted websites from the Microsoft Edge web browser. This can help protect your children when they use your computer unsupervised. However, to block websites, your child must have their own Windows user account and sign in on their own. you can’t just use your account because you can’t block websites on adult accounts.
Whether you want to protect your kids from shady websites or yourself from distracting websites at work, sometimes we all need to block a website for our own good. The balance between privacy, freedom and control is not always easy. Many laptops already have parental controls installed, but some are easier to use than others. We’ll show you exactly how to use configuration and how to use hosts files and routers to do it.
How to block a website on your computer
How to Block Any Website on Windows Computers
- Make sure you have administrator access on your computer. Log in to your PC with an administrator account and navigate to C:WindowsSystem32driversetc
- Double-click on the file called “hosts” and select Notepad from the list of programs to open the file. Click OK. The last two lines of your hosts file should say “#127.0.0.1 localhost” and “#::1 localhost”. If you are unable to edit the file, you will need to right-click on the file named hosts and select Properties. Click the Security tab, select the administrator account, then click Edit. In the pop-up window, select the account again and check Full Control. Click Apply > Yes. Now click OK on all pop-up windows.
- At the end of the file, you can add the addresses of the sites to be blocked. To do this, simply add a line at the end of the file, with 127.0.0.1 then the name of the site you want to block; this will redirect the site name to your local computer.
- To block Google, for example, add “127.0.0.1 www.google.com” to the end of the file without the quotes. You can block as many sites as you want this way, but remember that you can only add one per line.
- Repeat this step until you have added all the websites you want to block.
- Now close the hosts file and click save. Restart your computer for the changes to take effect and you will find that all of these websites are now blocked.
How to Block Any Website on Your Mac
- Make sure you have administrator access to your Mac. Now open Terminal. You can find it in /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.
- Type sudo nano /etc/hosts and press Enter. Enter the user (login) password when prompted.
- This will open the /etc/hosts file in a text editor. Type the website name on a new line in this format “127.0.0.1 www.blockedwebsite.com” (minus the quotes). For each website you want to block, start a new line and type the same command, replacing only the website name. When you’re done, press ctrl+x then Y to save your changes.
- Now enter command sudo dscacheutil -flushcache and hit enter or restart your computer to make sure the websites are blocked.
Final Words: How to Block a Website on PC
Hope you understand this article How to Block a Website on PC, if your answer is no, you can ask anything via the contact forum section linked to this article. And if your answer is yes, share this article with your family and friends.